November Yeti Of the Month.
Yeti Of The Month September 2012.
After all the super costly Carbon machines of the past 2 months, time to bring Yeti Of The Month back to a bit of reality, well as real as owning a Yeti gets. Check out Dans SB66 Alu.
Well it all started with seeing the first release of the yeti SB66 alloy on the internet, in magazines and I thought I’m having one of those at some point in the future and a few months later we got our first batch of the SB66 alloy frames in at work.
Just before they arrived I had brought a Lapierre Zesty 314 2011 bike, and when the SB frames came in and staring me in the face I wanted one so bad, so I worked out my finances (credit card lol had to be done), sold the Lapierre in bits, as I had changed some of the bits and rebuilt the sb66 alloy frame up from scratch.
I did start building in my parents living room while they were in America (hope they don’t find out lol)
Once I’d built it a few months ago now, I’ve been changing it ever since, now got it pretty much done other than a few bits, and must say its the best bike I have ridden, I use it for everything to bit of freeride, dirt jumping, trails, xc, love it :D ...........even tho i am still paying it off.
- frame: yeti sb66 alloy black med
- shock: fox rp23 kashima
- fork: fox float 32 rlc fit kashima 150mm (with custom decals :D)
- headset: cane creek
- stem: thomson 70mm
- bar: easton haven mag 710mm
- grips: turq yeti grips
- brakes: shimano xt trail with 180mm ice rotors
- seatpost: rockshox reverb (mounted underneath the bar)
- saddle, sdg bel air black
- chainset: shimano xt 10speed triple (only run as double with roller and bash)
- bash: e-thirteen
- roller: blackspire stinger in blue
- pedals: dmr vault in black/blue pins
- shifters: shimano slx 10 speed
- rear mech: shimano xt shadow 10 speed (going xtr shadow plus next year)
- front mech: shimano xt triple (limited to double)
- cassette: shimano slx 11.36 (will be changing soon)
- wheels: easton haven mags
- tyres: maxxis ardent 26 x 2.25
YETI of the month August 2012 This months YETI of the month belongs to YETIFAN’S good friend, Sandy Plenty. Its a custom built SB66 Carbon with a few extras. After reluctantly parting with his aluminum SB66, Sandy has kept the best bits and added some new fresh parts to create this unique build.
The reincarnation is as follows:
SB66 Carbon Specification
- Bars: Renthal Fatbar 7mm rise, 760mm wide (proto)
- Stem: Renthal Duo 50mm
- Grips: Renthal Lock-on Super Soft (proto)
- Wheels: Chris KIng, turquoise on Stans Flow Rims
- Tires: Schwalbe Muddy Mary Front 2.35 & Fat Albert Rear Double Defence 2.25
- Brakes: XTR Race, 180mm
- Rear Mech: XT SG
- Shifter: XTR
- Chain Device: e13 LG1plus
- Cassette: XT 11-36
- Cranks: XT 175mm
- Front Ring: Renthal SR4 33t
- Bottom Bracket: Chris King, Turquoise
- Pedals: Shimano MX30 DX
- Seatpost: Fox D.O.S.S
- Saddle: WTB Devo Thinline Ti/ YETI Team Edition
- Frame Protection: Invisiframe
- Headset: Chris King Rasta inset
- Fork: Fox Float 150 RLC, 15QR, Turquoise
- Shock: Fox 2013 Float CTD
Thanks to Tom Shilvock for persevering with my random setup OCD’s and building up this beauty for me. I rode it properly last month up at Hopton, its even more refined than the aluminum version, offering stacks of grip through a super stiff chasis. Cheers, Sandy.
Follow Sandy on Twitter- https://twitter.com/Sandy_Plenty
June 2012, Yeti Of The Month.
Missy Giove ARC AS- 1992. Rebuild.
I found this frame for sale at the end of 2011, and decided to hang it on the wall, and admire the dents and dings Missy had put in to this thing.
Then by chance, I happened upon a set of Manitou 2’s and then the ball started to roll.
Thanks to this project must go to numerous people for help in finding hard to get parts, such as Mick for finding the bars in his bike shop! Frank the Welder for letting go of this wonderful Team YETI FTW stem, complete with milled out top, and clamp hole. Jimmy Deaton for the ringle seat QR, and for loads of build info.
No thanks to the guy who sold me the Disc Drive, its ruined! & I’ll replace it with a Ringle rear hub as soon as I can.
Some special team only details, shorter stays for a more relaxed head angle, and lower BB (these guys were at it 20 years ago!- Super over built stays where they join the chainstays. The tyre really does only just clear the shock mount!
This frame was raced by Missy in the 1992 season, and completed in the Kamikaze with a Disc Drive & Huge Paragon chainring, all other events used a regular rear wheel and smaller chainrings.
Nicks YETI ARC Ti, with Loopstay! (Very rare)
Loopstay ARC Ti- not many of these around. . .
Proshift mechs, Coda Magic cranks, a little bit of Ringle and Tune, and fantastic Ti spoke wheels by Kasperwheels.com
YETI OF THE MONTH- APRIL 2012 !
Darren From Silverfish UK Yeti Importer- FRO.
A recently finished project with all period parts, Take a look at the pictures and see for yourself!!
Parts from YETI (Fork), Bullseye, Tioga & Shimano.
In 1997, I went to velo swap looking for a tandem for my new girl friend and myself. When we met we were excited that we were both cyclists, and started riding together to find out that we have two very different paces.
While at Velo Swap, I spotted an Ibis tandem and many Trek tandems and thought I saw a tandem behind a curtain in the 3-D racing booth. I walked through the booth and unveiled a Yeti tandem. I asked if it was for sale and he said,
"I'm not sure, I just brought it to see what would happen."
So, I asked to bring it out and as I'm meeting Chris Herting and discussing the tandem, people are climbing all over it. So I immediately pulled out $1000.00 cash and put it in Chris's hand. The deal was made. Chris was kind enough to throw in a 3-D racing jacket. mission very accomplished.
I had heard that a tandem was the key to 'make' or 'break' a relationship. This must be one of the lucky tandems. We're still together and riding. We go for social rides and weekend outings. It's been on Ragbrai., BRR (Bike Ride to Rippey), along the Wabash Trace to Missouri, all over Nebraska, Iowa and Minnesota.
I built some monster wheels [sun big mammoth fat rims] for it upgraded the group to xt. I still have the day glow yellow bar and stem that came in it. I have kept it as stock as I can.
I became a member of the yeti fan club the other day, as I was looking thru the prototype photos I saw that there isn't a picture of the Yeti Ultimate tandem. well I have the missing bike. I would like to send you picks for the photo history. we have snow on the ground here in Omaha, N.E. Thank you for your involvement with the yeti form and websites.
Scott Beaumonts YETI DJ.
- Spec is:
- Frame: Yeti DJ – Large
- Fork: Fox 831
- Wheelset: Sun Ringle Charger Pro
- Tyres: Schwalbe Nobby Nic/Racing Ralph Gatestar compound
- Tubes: Schwalbe Extra Light
- Handlebars: Race Face
- Stem Race Face – 50mm
- Headset: Hope
- Brakes: Formula R1 Racing – 160 rotors
- Saddle: SDG Circuit
- Seatpost: USE Sumo
- Cranks: Race Face
- Chainring: Race Face 35t
- Chain Device: E13 LG1 Trail
- Pedals: Shimano
- Chain: Shimano XTR
- Cassette: Shimano – Dura Ace
- Mech: Shimano XT
- Shifter: Shimano XT
- Mudguard: Neoguard
- All Photos by to Charles Robertson.
December 2011. Team 303
Andy just got this new and un ridden team 303, one of only a handful (I think its 10?) in the world.
Not much to write as its only just arrived!
Check the spec, all good for the team.
Saint, Schwalbe, Thomson, Fox WTB saddle
ROBBY RUPE FRO.
Originally made in the Yeti factory in Durango, its one of only a handful of 24” wheel FRO’s.
John Tomac who raced for YETI at the time had one (See Pic), and Robby Rupe who also raced for YETI, and worked their welding/assembling bikes, made this one.
These bikes were very specialist, designed for racing Slalom which was a huge part of the sport at the time. Many of the features on the bike will not stand out to the casual observer, but on closer inspection....
The rear loop stays are different to production FRO’s, as well as being shorter, they are welded where the usual ones are on piece, also the steerer (BMX 1”) on the shorter Answer Accutrax is of a much thicker tubing.
This bike is now owned by a guy who has taken a lot of time and care to restore it to its former glory having had its Desert Turquoise painted red at some stage of its life. The bars have been custom made the recreate the originals, the Frame is back in Desert Turq & the Forks and bars are in period Yeti Neon Yellow.
Here is Megans new ArcX race bike, straight from Denver Colorado.
It is beautiful, and rides great! Few of the specs:
- SRAM force gruppo
- Wickwerks chainrings 44/34
- Avid shorty Ultimate brakes
- FSA carbon tubular wheelset.
- Also Megan has some Reynolds DV46 carbon tubular wheelset and new Schwable racing ralph cross tubulars. They are pretty darn sweet! Total weight is 17.11 lbs.
Megan races for Co-Motion, a Colorado based team who run Yeti’s bikes, in pretty much all categories of racing.
Maarten from Belgium sent in this DJ for the Your DJ Section,
I thought it looked so cool, it HAD to be a Yeti Of the Month! What do you think?
- 2011 YETI DJ Large – M@lphy livery !
- 2011 FOX 32 RLC – Custom Decals
- Shimano XTR 2011 Shifter
- Shimano XTR 2011 Rear Derailleur (Super Short cage)
- Shimano XTR 2011 Chain (10 Speed)
- Shimano XTR Cassette (4speed), Shimano SAINT Crank, Shimano M424 pedals, KCNC Chainring bolts
- HOPE Bottom Bracket, E13 LG1+ Chainguide, E13 38th Chainring
- HOPE Race X2,Hope Floating rotors
- SPANK Spike EVO Bars (745mm), THOMSON Elite X4 Stem, ODI Ruffian Grips
- NOTUBES ZTR Flow Rim (32h), CHRIS KING Hubs (Rear - Fun Bolts), DT Swiss spokes,SCHWALBE Racing Ralph, SCHWALBE Nobby Nic
- THOMSON Elite Seatpost, YETI-SDG Team Saddle, SALSA Seatpost clamp
Eddie 575 25th . There are only a few of these 25th 575’s, so its only right we have one as YETI Of The Month,
Eddie from the UK has been kind enough to share his with us all.
Eddie has been to most of the UK Tribemeets, and is YETI Crazy, living just round the corner from the UK importer must help
He even got a Yeti tattoo recently!
- 2011 Shimano XTR / 10 speed / Trail brakes / Shifters / front & rear mechs
- Chris King custom painted headset / Bottom Bracket
- Chris King Front & rear hubs
- Easton Monkeylite Bars
- WTB exclusive saddle
- Thomson Stem & seatpost
- Mavic 819 rims
- Fox 2011 Float custom painted forks
- Troy Lee Designs grips
- Goodridge brake Hoses and gear cables
Brians YETI 5.
Brian works at the Yeti Factory, and this is his Yeti 5.
A bit different to most of the Yeti 5’s I get sent, so it just had to appear here.
- ASR 5A w/white rear,
- float 150 from my anniversary dropped to 130,
- DT 1750s w/special yeti graphics,
- XT 1x10 (32, 11-36)
- w/ cut down mrp boomerang Turq rollers,
- Rock shox reverb post.
- Sunline 745,
- Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.4 f&r.
UK YETI Rep Stu, who works for Evolution Imports sent in some details about his Lime Green Yeti 5, a new colour way for Yeti in 2011.
Running 1x10 is also a pretty new thing, but Stu has been using this set up on his past few bikes, and has the set up dialled. Full Spec is..........
- Medium Asr5 with custom small air-sleeve DHX Air
- Fox Float RL set at 130mm
- Sram XX group with Noir SSpeed cranks
- 34T Rotor Q-Ring and 11-36 cassette
- Chris King turquoise headset and BB
- Stans Arch/Crest rims on custom turquoise Chris King hubs with prototype 142mm rear axle
- Schwalbe rubber
- Charge grips
- MRP 1X chaindevice
- Rock Shox Reverb seatpost
- WTB Devo Yeti Team saddle
May 2011- Andrew’s YETI 303 25th.I first saw a 303 25th when I was at Fort William world cup in 2010, there were loads of shots on the net, but it was super special to see Aaron Gwin was giving it some on the DH track all weekend,
Aaron later got a great 4th position. I decided there and then, somehow a new 303 would be mine!
Limited to 100 world wide, and all made in the Yeti Factory, its a very rare machine, and no doubt many will be kept under wraps, 3
I however intend to get some use out of mine. I wont abuse it by loading it on tractor trailers and getting it all wrecked, but I’ll make sure it gets used and I have fun with it.
These things might have some collector value, but they are built to be ridden!
- 303 25th, Large (I am 6ft and it fits sweet!)
- Fox 40s RC2 with Kashima
- Sunline Stem & bars
- Shimano Saint
- E13 LG1
- DT Rims
- Thomson post
- Cool Yeti WTB Saddle
- And yes I run SPDs.
- Total weight is 41lbs.
YETI Of the Month- June 2011, Jared Graves 4X Race bike (Yes really!)
- The fastest 4X bike on the world cup circuit, more fastest qualifiers than anybody, and the current (June2011) 4X world cup series leader overall, Jared has some serious power & skills, only one bike can take those skills and put that power down on the race track, here it is.............
- note, new 2011 WTB Team saddle.
- Thomson stem & post.
- Shimano Saint cranks.
- DT Ceramic hubs.
- Jareds bike has the front slammed down low, special Integrated top headset race, with regular taperer 1.5 lower race. This makes the difference.
- Jared uses the new YETI ODI Turquoise grips, even these are modified, with the raised YETI lettering cut off so the grips are smaller. Custom etched collars too.
- Fox provide Jared’s forks, here you can see the new lower friction SKF seals, you will soon be able to upgrade any FOX forks to these seals, but they wont be turquoise. Kashima legs are standard on all high end race bikes that use FOX.
- When you get this good, your tyres have world champs stripes on them! Note also the DT carbon rims.
- Jared’s DJ uses a fixed rear drop out, as opposed to the bolt on version on the type you or I can buy. Rear axle is solid 142mm too.
July Kev C-26
- Frame: Yeti C-26
- Fork: Bradbury Manitou
- Headset: Deore XT M732 1 1/4"
- Stem: Cromo Steel 1.25"
- Bars: Cinelli JTs
- Grips: Cinelli Cork Barwrap
- Brake Levers: Dura-ace 7400 (left) and Dura-ace 7400 STI (right)
- Shifters: Dura-ace 7400 bar-end shifter (left) and Dura-ace 7400 STI (right)
Bra kes: Deore XT M730
- Rear Deraileur: Deore XT M732 short cage
- Front Deraileur: Deore XT M732
- Chainset/Bottom Bracket: Deore XT M730
- Pedals: Shimano SPD-747
- Front Wheel: Deore XT M730 on Specialized BX23 32h with DB Wheelsmith spokes
- Rear Wheel: Deore XT M730 on Specialized BX23 36h with Tioga Tension Disc
- Tyres: Tioga Trail Dawg (front) and Tioga Mud Dawg (rear)
- Seatpost: Deore XT M730 26.8mm
- Saddle: Selle Italia Turbo 1990
- Quick Releases: Ringle Cam-Twist 3DV
August 2011 - Jimmy Deatons YETI FRO 1991.Raced by Jimmy in 1991, this bike is untouched since that time! Raced in Slalom, XC & Downhill, back in the day when 1 bike did it all! This bike won a DH too.
Its amazing to me that this bike has remained intact and was not used as a doner bike, or even had stuff changed on it.
Frame size is very large, as Jimmy is a really tall guy!
- Full XT groupset in Rapidfire Shifters and SLR cantilever brakes.
- Original Bradbury Manitous
- Answer Bars
- Answer stem
- Chris King headset
- Ringle Bottle cages
- Ringle Skewers
- Onza Bar ends
- Ouri Grips
- IRC Tyres
- Mavic 231 rims
- 7 speed Shifting!
The thing I love about this bike, its no perfect replica. It has scrapes, it has damage. Its been used and it shows that proudly.
October 2011YETI SB-66
For October, Silverfish the new UK YETI Distributor sent in their new SB-66.
They import many high quality parts, and you can see some of these of the bike below. Formula Brakes, E13 components & Raceface components too.
Check them out on http://www.silverfish-uk.com/